Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Shhhhh

Meggan is at drink wine with other moms away from your kids night book club. So, I had to put the children to bed myself tonight. For Everett, this usually literally means saying "okay, buddy, it is time for night night" and putting him in his crib. He doesn't complain. He doesn't cry. He just lays there until he falls asleep. A few nights ago, he was awake for over 2 hours. Aside from a few times where he started talking to himself, he didn't make a peep. Now, compare that with Amelia.  Getting Amelia to go to bed calmly is about as easy as getting Sophie to sit quietly through a cat beauty pageant.  She is more likely to get out of her room than she is to stay in it. She sometimes throws jabs at us like "Dear Jesus, please help my parents be nicer to me" when she says her prayers. And on occasion, she gets downright belligerent and just tells me that she isn't going to bed because sleeping is for lazy people.

Having said all that, tonight was like the Twilight Zone.  Everett absolutely lost his mind when I wouldn't let him sleep with several plastic toys. It was touch and go for his stuffed animals for a moment. I thought they were about to become fully launchable weapons. I haven't heard the word "NO!" come out so big from a body so small before. However, to compensate for this, Amelia went to bed like a sweet angel. She tried to calm Everett down for me. She said prayers for kids who "aren't nearly as lucky as her". She was wide awake when I left her room and she didn't even ask me to stay longer. So, I figure one of two things has occurred....either she saw I was near the end of my rope with Everett and decided to cut me some slack...orrrrr, the second I came downstairs, she got out of bed and started playing with all those toys Ev couldn't have and was too lame to climb out of his crib and reach. Either way, I'm enjoying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment