Monday, September 13, 2021

78

Given my last post, it is probably not surprising that today being my mom's birthday hit me a little harder than it probably should have.  She would have been 78 today.  If there is one blessing of her passing, I would say it is that she didn't have to endure through this pandemic.  She didn't have to wear masks, figure out a stance on the vaccine, or most importantly watch 3 bright leaves on our family tree pass away.  There aren't many days where I don't think of her at least once, usually cracking up over something she said or did.  That said, today was a day where she constantly occupied my mind.  Perhaps it's because I'm still processing Brian's passing.  Maybe it's because it's been 5 years since she left us.  It might even be because I'm missing all my family members so badly thanks to COVID.  Whatever the reason I was slightly more down today was more than offset when my wonderful wife came home with a surprise.  She brought home a box or purple cupcakes (my mom's favorite color) so we could celebrate her birthday with the kids and keep their "mawmaw"'s memory alive in their hearts.  It was the perfect touch to end an imperfect day.  So, while I'm terribly sad to be missing the woman who raised me, I'm so very thankful for the woman who puts up with me.





No comments:

Post a Comment