Friday, June 26, 2009

Is it hot in here?

During the 20 minute drive back to work after meeting Meggan for lunch the air conditioner in my SUV decided to go out. Here is a sample of my inner monologue from the ride...

"Wow, it's warm today. I'd better crank up the A/C."
"Geez, it's so hot in the car today that the air feels warm."
"I'd better roll down the windows to let out the warm air."
"What was that noise?!?"
"Son of a... I rolled Mia's sun shade down into the door again"
"Okay, it's been 5 minutes and this air still feels like Sophie's breathing on me."
"It will be okay as long as I keep moving and get good air circulation from outside.'
"Red light. that...is....not...good."
"At least I'm wearing a lightweight white shirt"
"I'd better blast the air. Warm moving air is better than sitting here baking"
"Man, is it blowing the air directly off the engine?!?"
"Starting to sweat...not wanting to show up at work drenched"
"Ahhh, green light. Thank you, God."
"Steady moving is really making a diff...are you kidding me, another red light?!?"
"Lord, when did Charlotte start feeling like Haiti?"
"We are at a Code Red Emergency on the sweat level"
"So much for that lightweight shirt theory...now starting to sweat through....is that a nipple?"
"Sweet Jesus, the air is working again!!!"
"Oh, air conditioner, I will never again take you for granted."
"NO NO NO NO, don't start with the hot air again! You filthy, little tease, I'm trading you in the first chance I get"
"So, this is how Amelia feels when she's sweat-stuck to her car seat."
"Good news: the wind from the window has dried most of the sweat on my head."
"Bad news: the wind from the window has blown my hair into a short Flock of Seagulls look."
"That is definitely my nipple."
"Which will happen first...will I make it to work or will I catch on fire?"
"Which would be worse?"
"Only one more light to go...time to cross my fing.."
"Red. Again. what the hell?!? Is this some sort of karmic joke? Am I getting Punk'd?"
"I never thought I'd want to get to my office so badly."
"Finally in the parking lot.... and there comes the cold air again. Now that is funny."

So, I sat in the car until the cold air dried up my shirt, blew my hair back to normal, and put me in a much better mood. Then, I went into the office and realized the car ride wasn't that bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment