Friday, September 6, 2013

Sweet Dreams

99 nights out of 100, Everett will basically put himself to bed. However, on the 100th night, you'd have better luck trying to put a grizzly bear in sleeper hold. Apparently, two nights ago was the 100th night. I had a bad feeling when I looked into the monitor and saw Meggan gently place him in his crib only to have him spring up onto his feet like a classically trained ninja. I tried to go in and save the day. I'm not going to get into what happened in that room. I'll just say one of us limped out crying and it wasn't Everett. We were hopeful that perhaps if we left him in there alone to think about his choices, he'd come around to a rational line of thought.  He did not. Instead, he decided to stand up, rip his monitor off the side of his crib, throw it on the floor, and then deliver the death blow by turning off the light switch that powers it.  I had no choice but to return to battle. I brought out my secret weapon...disastrously bad lullaby singing. I stood there and sang like my life depended on it. After a song or two, he finally calmed down and closed his tiny eyes. I decided to sing a few more songs just to make sure he was completely asleep. After another cycle of songs, all sung in silence, I was ready to do a proper victory dance. The last words had no more than left my mouth when Everett sat straight up, started clapping,  and said "Yaaaaayyyyy!!". I left his room in shame. I tapped out. If he was to sleep at all, it was up to Meggan. I have no idea what happened in there over the next 20 minutes, but I suspect some combination of roofies, wine, and prayer because at over 2 hours past bedtime, my man was finally fast asleep. Oh well, at least we won't have to deal with that for another 100 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment