Friday, November 15, 2013

For Sale

We put our house on the market today. I think we've gone through every type of human emotion about the possibility of selling our house. You see, this isn't just a house. It's our first house. It's the house we brought Amelia home to. It's the only house Everett has ever known. This house has seen every person in it laugh, cry, win, and lose. We've cursed this house for not having enough space and we've all snuggled tightly together on its couches.  We've spent thousands replacing its air conditioner and roof and we've broken our backs (and my brothers' backs) putting in irrigation and a stone patio. We've had some decorating hits (kitchen backsplash) and several more decorating misses (nearly every room we've ever painted).  Its walls are adorned with the pictures, words, and paintings that represent the last decade of our lives. So, when I see the for sale sign out front, or the lock box on my door, I can't help but be equal parts sad, scared, hopeful, and excited. I don't know if or when this house will sell, but I do know long after we leave behind the windows and wall, we'll still have the memories that will last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment