Friday, April 3, 2015

Good Friday

Two days from now, people everywhere will celebrate Easter. We will be no different. We'll excitedly open our Easter baskets, dress up in our best clothes for church, and we'll try to answer Amelia's 50 questions about how the resurrection worked.  That said, this Sunday has an additional meaning to me. It will be the 30-year anniversary of my dad's passing. To further the meaning, Amelia is almost exactly the same age I was when he died.  This is a point that has bounced around in my head for weeks. 

I've said on here before that I don't remember much about my dad, but Amelia has given me perspective into how well he knew me.  This revelation has literally changed my entire view of my life. I'd often wondered what he would have thought about me, my life, and the man I'd become. Would he have been proud? Would he have thought I'd been a good son and brother?  Would he think I'd make a good father? Now, through my feelings about Amelia in her short life, I know those answers. I am already bursting with pride.  I can already see that she's a wonderful daughter and sister.  And I have no doubts that she will be one of the best mothers on the planet.  It has been an absolute blessing to get the chance to see in her what he saw in me....and I fully intend to appreciate every second of every day going forward as anything less would be a slap in the face to the time he and I didn't get.  

No comments:

Post a Comment