Friday, March 18, 2011

When does it end?

Once you have a child, what are your responsibilities to that child and how long should you provide them? I was sitting in a doctor's office getting some things seen about when I started giving this serious thought. For me, going to the doctor ranks just above sitting nude in an ant bed. That said, I went because I know, at this point, I have responsibilities to Amelia. And, the ability to fulfill any of those starts with actually being alive and kicking.

Sitting there running through all of limbs of the family tree, seeing how they affect my life and how I affect their lives, I concluded the obligation never ends. Your kids' needs will change throughout life, but make no mistake, they will always need you. Thus, it seems to me a parent has a lifelong responsibility to remain around as long as possible. This may mean eating better, partying less, or cutting bad habits. It might not be what you want for your life. But, it is what you owe your children for theirs. Almost every parent I know would literally jump in front of a bus for their little ones. However, how many of them would quit smoking so they can spend several more years together? It's amazing to me how easy it can be for a parent to offer up their own life for the sake of their child, yet how hard it can be for that same parent to make changes to protect themselves...which at some point in their kids' lives, is all they really need them to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment