Thursday, May 23, 2013

Hungry

When I came across an offer on our peanut butter to enter an online code to donate one free meal to those in need, I decided it would be a good chance to give Amelia a lesson on those less fortunate. So, I let her type in the online code as I explained to her what it was for. We had a good talk about how lucky we are and why it's important to help people who have fallen on hard times. After we were done with the code, Amelia asked me what happens to the other kids who don't have any food. So, I told her that code was only good for one dinner, but if we gave some of our own money, we could buy a lot of dinners. Then, I asked her if she wanted to give some of the money from her piggy bank. After thinking about it for a second, she said "it's okay if I don't get a pinata right now (which is weirdly what she has been saving up for). We can give them money". I asked her how much she wanted to give and after consideration she said 6 dollars, which for a 4 year-old is roughly 7 million dollars. Now, I don't know how many meals $6 buys, but I know the gesture of a small child giving their own money for others is priceless. I also know that sometimes when you set out to teach your children, you are the one who ends up learning the most.

1 comment: