Thursday, December 12, 2013

Nature or Nurture?

In the past month or so, I've heard a minimum of five different comments about how much I talk. I don’t think I talk that much. Do I? I don’t know. Maybe I do talk a lot. But, I mean, what is a lot? For instance, do I talk a lot for guy? Do I talk a lot for any human? Is my talking on the high end of an appropriate amount? Is my talking on the low end of an annoying amount?  Wait, is my talking on the high end of an annoying amount? I suppose it could be. But, you know, it isn't like I talk to everybody. I mostly only talk to people I know really well. Oh, and additionally I talk to people I just met. Well, and I do also talk to people I met a while ago, but I don’t know really well yet.  I can’t help it. I like people. Hmmm, or is it that I hate silence? Can it be both? Yep. That’s it. I like people and I hate silence.  I wonder if I like people more than I hate silence or vice versa? Surely, they can’t be equal.  What’s so bad about talking anyway? Talking means communicating. Communicating means sharing ideas.  Ideas mean making things happen.  Making things happen means changing the world! Sure, 99% of all things I say are neither ideas nor do they really need to be communicated, but that’s beside the point. Actually, it probably is the point. Maybe I should go an entire day without talking just to prove I can do it. Can I do it? Does it count if I isolate myself so there is nobody to talk to? What if I talk, but nobody is around to listen? Does that still count as talking or is that just thinking out loud? Is that why I like writing? It’s basically talking in black and white and doesn't require an audience. Is my wordiness why all feedback on my screenplays include the terms “lengthy dialogue” and yet, I’m thinking “what the fuzz?!? I cut out over half the words!”  Can I parlay this love of talking into a career option? That’s going to be hard since I go radio silent when there is a crowd. Is there any way to get paid to talk a lot to just a person or two at a time? Maybe I should have been a therapist? Wait, isn't that really more about listening than talking? Maybe I need a therapist? I don’t know. Oh well, if I’m ever talking to you and it’s too much, just tell me.  That’s what my mom does. That’s what Meggan does. That’s pretty much what everyone who knows me well does.


On a completely, totally,and utterly unrelated note…during the meeting with Amelia’s prospective school, one of the critiques was that she tends to be a bit too chatty. I’m looking into how to help correct it. I just can’t tell where she gets it from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment