Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Magic

Amelia performed a magic trick for me where she put all her little Minion toys in one side of Meggan's eyeglass case, closed the lid, put it behind her back and showed me they had moved to the other side of the case. Now, because I'm not 5 years-old, this trick fell short of blowing my mind. I'm guessing maybe, just maybe, she simply turned the case over. That said, I still acted like she had made the Empire State Building disappear. I checked behind her back for a trick eyeglass case. I asked her if she was a fairy. I even excitedly had her go show her mom the trick because it was so unbelievable.

Later that night, I was playing with Everett's trains that magnetically link together and decided to return the favor. I knew I would absolutely send her head into orbit by placing the magnets together in a way that they would repel each other and make the trains move without me touching them.  Thus, I would seem like a real magician and possibly the best dad on Earth.

It was time.  I called her over. I placed the trains in the correct position. I slowly moved one train closer to the other and the second train slowly started moving without me touching it at all. I quickly looked at her so I could soak in all her admiration and joy. She slowly looked back at me and said "That's not magic. That's just magnetic force."  And with that comment, I immediately hate Kindergarten, science class, or whoever made my daughter smarter than me.

2 comments: