Monday, October 3, 2016

Until Later....

I'm finally back in town after what started as a wonderful week reuniting with my college friends and ended holding my mom as she passed away in a hospital bed.  I had no idea it was coming.  I'm still in shock. It's a surreal feeling that may never leave. That said, I did have the honor of writing the speech for the funeral and the privilege of watching my beautiful wife read it.


Thank you all for coming.  I speak for my entire family when I say we are honored by your presence.  Those of you who know my mom know she'd love having her family spending this time together.

When the call went out that my mom was in the hospital, 17 people dropped everything and showed up to support her.  These people traveled from 5 states and were made up of siblings, children, grand children, great grandchildren, nephews, and their loved ones.

How does one woman command such love and admiration?  She does it by living a life of selfless, unconditional love.  She does it by courageously moving forward when cancer stole her husband at a young age and left her responsible for her 4 children.  She does it by being the first person you'd call if you needed help and the first person  who'd call you if you had bad weather coming your way.  She does it by being a loving daughter, a caring sibling, and the kind of mother who talks to all 4 of her adult children every day.

In short, she does it by being a very special woman - soft-hearted enough to bring comfort to anyone, yet fiery enough to keep life interesting.  So, while we mourn the loss of her here today, keep in mind she is celebrating a Heavenly reunion with her husband, mother, brother, and a host of loved ones.  She lived life the way she wanted and battled until the end.  In honor of her, I ask that we hug each other a little tighter,  watch that sunset a little longer, and tell people we love them as often as possible.  That's the way my mom would have done it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment