Saturday, June 18, 2011

Father's Day

Well, tomorrow is my 3rd Father's Day and I have to admit they keep getting better each time. Since my father died when I was 6, Father's Day never really held any positive connotations to me. However, now that I have a bright-eyed baby girl of my own, it has become one of my favorite holidays.

Now, some people would say that is because it is all about me. Well, those people don't know me or else they'd know I barely even recognize my own birthday. It has nothing to do with it being about me. I love it because it is recognition of me AND Amelia...I can't be a father without the help of the daughter.

While I do love the holiday, one thing I will say is that I don't really feel fathers need a whole day to commend them for all they do. If it takes a day to celebrate what mothers do for their kids...fathers should get about 30 minutes. So, if we were being fair, it really should be Happy Father's Brunch. I'm not trying to discredit the importance of all the dads out there. I' simply pointing out that what we do, is not the tough stuff.

Mom's main responsibilities -
Give birth
Breastfeed
Find appropriate daycare
Schedule doctor appointments
Attend doctor appointments
Actually know the answers to some of the questions doctor asks
Administer all medicine
Deal with all threat level red tummy troubles
Ensure teeth are brushed ....EVERY day
Know when diapers, wipes, etc. are running low
Make booboos feel better
Enforce nap time, bed time, and bath time
Make sure dinner involves more items than meat and cookies
Pretty much do all things that allow for a child to grow up healthy and happy

Dad's list of responsibilities -
Don't pass out during delivery
Try not to confuse breast milk with your milk when pouring cereal
Carry child on shoulders when they are tired and/or want to have fun
Tickle, chase, and play with child
Don't let child miss soooo many meals, baths, or teeth brushings that they either look or smell like a homeless man or a billy goat
Don't endanger child's life for the sake of entertainment
Keep all local ice cream establishments in business
Kill bugs
Teach child all the best cartoons
Teach child to say "Sophie eats doodoo"
Teach child WHEN it is okay to say "Sophie eats doodoo"
Pretty much do all things that allow for a child to grow up thinking you are the coolest person alive

So, yeah, fathers are basically larger, slightly less hairy versions of golden retrievers.

No comments:

Post a Comment