Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Who's afraid?

As has been well documented on here and even more well documented in my offline life, I am afraid to fly. Now, when I say afraid to fly, I don't mean "I dislike flying". I'm more in the "airplanes are the work of Satan put here specifically to suck the life out of me one claustrophobia induced panicked breath at a time". Thus, I have avoided flying like the plague, logging a total of roughly 8 hours on planes over the last 12 years.

I have two very important ladies whose lives I influence. One is smart, funny, ambitious, and successful... The other still poops her pants, but will hopefully be all of the above one day. In a surprise to nobody, people who fit this description like to travel and they sure as hell don't want to do it in a Winnebago. So, I figured I'd better either learn to live with flying or I'd have to see pictures of Meggan and Amelia's vacations on the blog with the rest of you.

In an effort to combat this fear (and put my money where my mouth is so I have ground to stand on when I tell Mia to face her fears) I am taking Meggan to New York. I won't be posting any dates on here as I keep a general practice of not alerting the public to when my house will potentially be vacant. This is actually a service to robbers as I assure you they don't want to tangle with Sophie, who takes her job of guarding the house very seriously. Meggan is beside herself with excitement over this trip. I am guardedly excited as well. I've never been to New York, so I'm looking forward to experiencing it. It is one of the most unique cities on Earth. More importantly, I'm excited to have finally stepped up to the plate to take my swing at flying. Clearly, I have a host of reasons to do this. But, for me, it is 90% about Amelia. I've had numerous people tell me how great this will be for my career. Contrary to popular opinion, that aspect is of minimal importance to me. What they don't understand, frankly, is if me flying keeps Mia from ever being afraid of it, that will be worth more money than I could ever make.

No comments:

Post a Comment