Monday, August 8, 2011

The Fighter

Amelia is nothing if not stubborn. Tonight was no exception to this rule. All her mother and I wanted to do was brush her teeth. All she wanted to do was tell us to bend over and shove our heads up our rears as far as they could possibly reach...or for all she seemed to care, we could have shoved our heads up each other's rears. She just knew she wasn't brushing her teeth. Meggan claims she gets this stubbornness from me. Well, I disagree and I'm never going to change my mind on that no matter what she says. Okay, maybe it is a little true. Either way, I tried to explain to Amelia that I have 30 extra years of stubbornness training on her so she should just give in now. I'm not certain, but I think she started trying to take her diaper off to throw it at me. However, before she could do that, we left her in her room - no books before bed, no pacifier (which I swear we can't bribe away from her), no lullabies, no back rubs. She would have preferred to take a beating. It took over an hour of screaming, the start of a night of coughing, and multiple walks into her room to see if she was ready to brush yet. And while she never went with the plan very enthusiastically, we did get her teeth brushed eventually. Afterwards, she said "now, you rub my back, daddy". So, I lived up to my end of the deal and rubbed her back and sang her lullabies. On my way out of the room, I swear I could hear a little whisper that was something about me winning the battle, but her winning the war. Oh, it's going to be a fun ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment