Thursday, December 13, 2012

I'm the Dad ...of a Future Man

A weird thing happened tonight when I was thinking about the crappy news I got today about tearing my ACL. I was contemplating the surgery and rehab options when I took a peek at Everett on his baby monitor. Naturally, the wild man was still rolling around his bed checking for escape hatches. That's when I was reminded that I am the dad of a little boy who will grow up to be a man one day. As simple as that sounds, the older he gets, the more I realize my actions will dictate how he views the proper way for a man to act.  (Now, there is an argument that says the way I act will impact what Amelia thinks she needs to find in a man later in life. This is probably true, but I figure I'm going to bury any boyfriend of hers that I don't approve of in the backyard anyway, so I'm not worried about that so much.) So, if Everett were old enough to understand my "boo boo", I'd have to do all I could to act tough and as though I'm not scared and it doesn't hurt.  I hope I'll stand up the the task when that day comes. That said, luckily he's just a baby, so this time I'll probably just cry like a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment