Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Good Point

We try very hard to teach Amelia to be confident in herself. It is my goal to have her truly believe she can do anything she wants as long as she works hard. This morning, she showed me that she's listening....


Amelia: When can I learn to play the violin?

Me: Ummmm, someday. I think you'd really like the piano

Amelia: I already know how to play the piano (not true unless you count hitting random keys as noise comes out)

Me: Oh, I see.

Amelia: What do you know how to play?

Me: I can't play anything.

Amelia: Sure, you can. You can play piano too (also not true)

Me: No, I am terrible at all things music. I can't sing. I can't read music. I can't play any instruments.

Amelia: That is a really dumb thing to say.

Me: Well, okay.

Amelia: I'm sorry. I know that was a potty word. But, it is really dumb to say you can't do anything.

Me: Even if I can't?

Amelia:  If you think you can't , you can't and if you think you can, you can...either way, you're right.

Me: You're right. I'm sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment