Sunday, February 22, 2009

A letter to my wife

A little over two years ago, on our wedding day, I stood in front of our guests and gave a short speech I had written. In that speech, I said that all of my successes would be sweeter because I had you at my side. Tonight, we sit on the eve (potentially) of likely the greatest success we will ever have. I feel even more strongly about that sentiment than I ever knew I could. Indeed, life with Amelia will be sweeter because I have you. When I told you I wanted to try to have a baby, it was not simply because I wanted to be a father. It was because I wanted to be the father of YOUR child. It was because I realized how privileged I was to share this life and this experience with you. With certainty, there will be challenges ahead of proportions you and I have never imagined. I have confidence that our commitment to each other, as well as to Amelia, will more than carry us through. I thank you with all my heart for the daily flashes of brilliance you provide that consistently renew my joy of that commitment. In my life, I have not come across anyone with as much poise, as much understanding, or as much pure love of the little things as you. I cannot express to you how much your presence continually inspires me. You have pushed me to become the man that I am, you have challenged me to be the best father I can be, and when it's all said and done, I'll owe more to you than I can ever repay. Simply put, you are my greatest compliment. I opened with a reference to my wedding day speech. It only seems appropriate to close today the same way I did then - Meggan, you are the love of my life and it is truly an honor to have you as my bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment