Tuesday, September 8, 2009

In good hands

Tonight was just a daddy and daughter night. Meggan had to work until well past bedtime. These nights are becoming more and more fun the older Mia gets. I knew it was going to be a good night from the moment I picked her up from daycare. When she saw me walk into the room, she began jumping up and down in her exersaucer and laughing. On my worst day, that would be enough to turn it all around. I loaded her in the car and we headed home. This actually proved to provide for a bit of a hiccup as a rather foul smell reached up from the back seat and practically tapped me on the shoulder. I graciously thanked Amelia for saving that for me rather than dropping it like it was hot ten minutes earlier while she was still at school. After we got home and changed out of our "stinky pants" we were ready to play. Playing previously consisted of laying her on her mat and watching her try to eat every toy you handed her. Now, she is MUCH more advanced. She can sit up and/or roll around and find her own toys to eat. It may sound like a subtle difference, but believe me, it is way more fun to watch. After working up a nice little appetite, I busted out the butternut squash and green beans. Now, I'm sure most of you wouldn't consider this to be a gourmet meal. However, upon the mere sight of it, Mia started pumping her arms, kicking her legs, and making a "whooo whooo whooo" noise. Once we powered up with our veggies, it was playtime again. This time, we played a game called Dad-blows-on-my-belly-while-I-crack-up-and-pull-out-the-three-hairs-he-has-left-on-his-head. All this playing made for a tired, and increasingly cranky little girl. Mia got a quick bath minus all the stuff that mom does to make her cry - shampoo, nose cleaning, etc. We took a few minutes for our obligatory time to stare at ourselves in the mirror and surprise of all surprises, we found it just as hilarious today as it has been everyday for the last few months. A delicious bottle later, and she was out like a light. We had survived another night without mom. It has taken months of practice, but I am really starting to get the hang of this whole dad thing. Now, I make no promises in terms of nutrition, medicine, sleep schedules, etc. But, I do promise that Amelia and I have a great time together and that's what counts the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment