Thursday, October 29, 2009

No Moms Allowed

Tonight was another Mia and Daddy night as Meggan had to work. She basically has to work two nights a week for most of the fall. So, these nights are not exactly few and far between. Normally, Amelia finds at least one or two things on each of these nights to become extremely fussy about. However, tonight was a really good night. I had a feeling I was in for a treat when she started bouncing up and down smiling the minute I walked into daycare. This reaction, which I have seen on a few occasions, is easily one of the highlights of my life. She decided the whole ride home would be a good time to talk. I tried to catch up on how her day went. She mostly kept saying mamamamama. Once we got home, we got to play with our third partner in crime, Sophie. Sophie doesn't really allow for the option to NOT play with her, so you might as well embrace it and invite her have fun with you. After working up a healthy appetite practicing standing, we feasted on turkey and vegetables. I can't actually verify that it was turkey OR vegetables, but that's what the jars said. Next came the only slight mishap of the night. I was making myself a sandwich when I heard an all too familiar sound...a baby grunting as if she was trying to give birth. I looked over to see this poor little girl with a face as red as a candy apple. I was not looking forward to what occurred next. A sound came from her diaper that sounded like I put a Christmas ham down the garbage disposal. I don't know what the hell happened in that diaper, but I kid you not....Mia started speaking in tongues. So, after I tended to that little dumpster fire, we were back on track. It was decided that we should get back to the play mat for a serious crawling practice session. We all played so hard that the she was falling asleep before bath time...and I'm just referring to Sophie. We left Sophie rest up (which she clearly has done because she is absolutely doing work on a rawhide bone right now) while we went upstairs for a bath. All bath time routines went without a hitch. I was able to fend off all of Amelia's efforts to turn on the shower while the bath water was running. Eventually, I'm going to let her learn that lesson the hard way. But, tonight I was ill prepared to answer to mom when she got home and found out. After our bath, we slipped on some pajamas and had a tasty bottle. Amelia loves to snuggle up to your neck as she falls asleep. Seriously, for those of you who don't have children, rent one, borrow one, steal one, whatever. But, you have not felt a more therapeutic feeling than a warm baby snuggling up to the crook of your neck. A few seconds later, she was fast asleep. To no surprise, Amelia, Sophie, and I had survived another night with no adult supervision.

No comments:

Post a Comment