Friday, October 16, 2009

Once Bitten

Well, it finally happened. I've known this day would come from the day we found out Meggan was pregnant. It really shouldn't surprise anyone given their animosity on this blog. Tonight, while Meggan was at work and I was watching Amelia and Sophie, we had our first biting incident. Amelia was sitting on the floor playing with her toys while Sophie kept bringing her a dog toy to play with. Regardless of how many times I removed the dog toy, Sophie kept bringing it back. Each time, Amelia would do her best to grab it and I would intercept it. If you have ever been around Sophie, you would know she does this tirelessly attempting to get you to play tug with her. Obviously, she doesn't realize Amelia isn't strong enough for that game even if she were to get the toy. So, on this fateful attempt, I was sitting about two feet from them when the bite occurred. Sophie brought her toy, Jack, over to Amelia. This time, Amelia got a really good bear hug grip on it. Just as I was reaching to remove this toy before Amelia could get "doggie germs", Sophie went in for her toy. This all happened in slow motion for me - inching closer...crazy look in eyes...closer...mouth starting to open wide...closer....bite on the neck. Poor girl, I don't think she ever saw it coming. She couldn't have. It all happened too fast and she didn't even make an attempt to get out of the way. She didn't even move during the bite, she just sat there in stunned shock. As soon as I was able to separate them, I picked Amelia up and told her she would be in big trouble if she ever bit Sophie again. Sophie ran under the couch, no doubt more a function of the hair pulling rather than the wet, toothless gumming she just received. I know her pain well, as it is Amelia's new thing when I lay down next to her to yank my ear, lean over, and bite it. Most people have to worry about their pets and their children. However, we actually have to protect Sophie from our bully. Considering I'm not even sure Sophie knows how to bite, her only defense would be to bark Amelia to death...a feat she has tried many times.

1 comment:

  1. wait for teeth to come in .... then you too can feel the horror of it all

    ReplyDelete