Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Divine?

Tonight, I had a very interesting encounter. After unsuccessfully trying to find a good home for some furniture that had previously been collecting dust in our garage, we gave in and called for a special pick up from our garbage company. I received a call at work from a neighbor saying one of the guys picking it up would like to take the furniture home after his shift, so they moved it back up to my garage. When I got home from work, the furniture was gone so I assumed all went as planned. However, later in the evening, a man showed up at the door to pick up the furniture. I apologized and told him it was gone when I got home and I had figured he had it. He was disappointed and said he was going to take it to an organization he is affiliated with that helps men recovering from substance abuse issues. I asked him a few questions about the organization and his role. He began telling me his story which is one of a former dealer and a former user. His escape after years of drug abuse was a result of being overcome by Christ. For him, it happened as if something washed over him and removed all cravings and desires. I shared with him that I had someone in my life touched by similar issues. I told him how much I respected what he was doing and how inspiring his story was to anyone who has ever seen the struggle. It was then that he said he realized what had happened - he was never supposed to get that furniture. It wasn't for him. The furniture was simply the mechanism God used to facilitate our meeting so we could share our stories. He then asked if he could pray for this person in my life. So, standing in the middle of my driveway in the dark, this man grabbed my hand and let out the most impassioned 5 minutes of prayer I have ever heard. God doesn't answer every prayer in the timeline or manner in which we hope. But, I assure you, this one was heard...by God...and likely a few of my neighbors. Was this a meeting of providence? Was this man some sort of angel? I suppose I may never know that answer. However, what I do know is I never thought putting out the trash could lead to such a fulfilling experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment