Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Who is it for?

As someone who has their own blog,I always find it interesting to see what other people blog about. I know blogs are essentially diaries on the web. However, I think there are really only two kinds of bloggers. There are the bloggers who don't push to have the whole world read their blog, myself included. For me, it is a great forum to share Amelia's growth with those who love her and anyone else who wants a 2 minute diversion from their daily routine. The other group are bloggers who do all they can to become famous/paid bloggers. I think that's great as well. It just doesn't fit with my schedule. However, in either of these scenarios, there is still a readership. So, make no mistake, nobody blogs without wanting someone to read it - doing so would be the same as hanging a painting in the forest. If someone just wants to get out their thoughts, there are a hundred mechanisms to do so that don't include the most populous forum in the world. The reason I was thinking of this tonight is because of the glut of blogs out there in which the blogger rants about their children. I am not referring to joking about how wild your child is. I am talking about damagingly negative commentary. These blogs even include those written by people with the very serious condition of postpartum depression. Some are extremely interesting reads. Additionally, it is probably very cathartic to write these blogs. I hope the bloggers dealing with depression and any other personal issues really find a sense of healing in the writing. What I can't figure out, though, is what are they going to tell their children when they get older? Like I said, blogs are not journals you write in and store under your bed. They have readership and for the most part, that readership can consist of anyone with Internet access. The entire originating purpose of this blog was to give Amelia something to look back on later in life. I can't imagine Mia reading through posts that say I hate her, that she's ruined my life, or any other things that exist on some blogs. Perhaps I can't imagine that because I can't process having those thoughts. My only hope is that if the children who are the subjects of those blogs ever read them, their parents use that time to talk about emotions, expression, love, and growth. Otherwise, the whole thing seems selfish, shortsighted, and basically the opposite of all things "parent".

No comments:

Post a Comment