Monday, February 13, 2012

Shame on You, Esquire

Let me start by saying Esquire magazine is one of my favorite magazines on the planet. It usually has great interviews, interesting stories, and just enough style trends to keep me from being completely out of touch. That said, I came across something in this month's issue that really disappointed me. In its coverage of Bill Clinton and 78 Other Things We Can All Agree Upon, it has this listed as #12...



...assuming this is only a commentary on these three items (in other words - excluding God, health, etc.), I am saddened by this prioritization. Starting at the top, kids is a great choice. They should be your first priority. After all, they got stuck with you as parents, the least you can do is give it your all. That said, for me, the list goes completely awry from there.

I'm certainly no marriage expert, nor do I profess to be a leader in professional guidance. So, I can only speak for my marriage and my career when I say compared my my marriage, my career could not be more inconsequential. There is a reason I made a vow to my wife that I'd be with her until death while I offer my job a gentlemen's agreement of a two week notice. That reason is because I love my wife. I don't love my job...I wouldn't love any job. Having the greatest job on Earth would simply mean I got to spend the hours between seeing my family doing something fun and exciting. At no point would it transition to anything more than a means to an end. I like my job, work very hard at it, and I appreciate it to the fullest. However, my career is just how I pay my mortgage, pay for Amelia's ballet class, and make sure I can afford my DVR. My marriage is how I live my life.

I'm sure there are a thousand self-centered counterpoints the fine folks at Esquire would hurl my way. However, they would fall upon deaf ears. For me, it is as simple as this - I haven't been to work in days and I don't miss it one bit, yet Meggan has been gone less than 24 hours and I can't wait to see her. I don't keep an eye out for women, yet I do keep an eye out for open positions in my field. I hope to retire long before I leave this Earth, yet I plan on being with Meggan until my last breath. How, I ask, can you ever consider something they have to pay you to do more important than someone you would do anything in the world for?

No comments:

Post a Comment