Thursday, March 15, 2012

Teammates

One of the primary tenets of our marriage and our family is that we take an all-for-one and one-for-all approach. Meggan and I were both raised this way and we'll both die this way. We are a team and as such we should do all we can for one another. However, we are currently having a hard time getting this through to our children. Obviously, Everett gets a tiny bit of a pass considering he wasn't on the planet 2 months ago. That said, Amelia has been around a little longer. Don't get me wrong, there isn't widespread sabotage going on at home. The problem is there is a slight divide happening at the moment. Everett clearly hates me to my utter core. He cries the minute I hold him and continues to do so until I stop. Sure, the little dude likes to cry a bit more than most, but he reeeaallly amps it up for me. Now, Amelia doesn't harbor that level of disdain for Meggan, but she has wholeheartedly joined Team Daddy recently. I wish I could tell you this is because she finally realized I am the far more awesome parent. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it is just jealousy over the attention Everett gets from Meggan. It doesn't matter what we are doing, she always wants me to do it with her and it doesn't matter what Meggan asks her to do, she puts up a fight. Ironically, the likely fix to this is for me to spend more time with Everett while Meggan hangs with Amelia. This sounds so easy, but trust me....there are few things scarier than really ticked off babies and 3 year-olds. Wish us luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment