Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Beginnings and Endings

Today is Meggan's first official day back at work. That news would be a big deal if it weren't also my mother's last day in the workforce after 50+ years.  I never quite got nearly rich enough to buy my mom the house I thought I could when I was a kid. Sincerely, that fact will bother me forever.  I think I speak for all my siblings when I say it isn't so much about a house as it is about the simple concept that we've always wanted my mom to know she was taken care of. She has spent nearly the entirety of her life making sure each of us knew everything would be okay as long as she was around.  At some point or another, we've all relied heavily on that well of comfort - some of us probably more than our fair share. I can't think of a single time in which she has asked for anything in return.  Retirement, just like everything else in life, was earned through her own tireless efforts.  On the eve of retirement, all I can say to you, Mom, is we're sorry we weren't able to give you this much deserved rest earlier, but we hope you enjoy every second of your time off knowing your kids have you covered and at last, we have the opportunity to do all we can to finally take care of you.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment