Saturday, August 11, 2012

Sleep Training

I have two children. My tiny baby lays down by himself and rolls around mostly quietly until he falls asleep. My three year old, however, acts as if her bed is the snake pit from Indiana Jones. It doesn't feel like sleep should require training. After all, it is one of those few basic things that every single person does. It is something our bodies crave. At any rate, it isn't something that should draw lengthy bouts of crying and rebellion. It isn't like we put her in a pitch black room and tell her we're going out for the evening. She has a nightlight. We sing goodnight songs. I scratch her back. We even sit outside her room so she knows we are around and she is safe. So far, this has equated to the restful slumber of a Nightmare on Elm Street film. Now, I'm not the kind of parent who believes in a quick sip of liquor to help the little one fall out. That said, I'm about one night away from surfing the Internet for old pro wrestling DVDs so I can perfect my sleeper hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment