Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Dedication

I have always been much more passionate about my relationship with Christ than I have about my relationship with religion. While I have never wavered in my beliefs or my faith, growing up I did not often find myself in church on Sundays. Actually, I give Meggan complete credit for the marriage of faith and church in my life. Over the course of our relationship, our trips to Sunday service have become some of my favorite times and have acted as strengthening pillars of our lives. However, this past Easter weekend, I had my most powerful experience at church and my eyes were opened to the true beauty of fellowship. On Sunday, we had a dedication ceremony for Amelia. It was an unbelievable feeling to see Mia in her pink church dress, surrounded by friends and family, being loved and accepted by the entire congregation. I was really struck by the fact that there were people in the crowd, from young women to grown men, who were moved to tears during this ceremony. Perhaps it was the meaning of the ceremony. Perhaps it was their love of Meggan and the woman and mother she has become. Either way, it was one of the purest showings of fellowship I have witnessed. I have only been to this particular church on a handful of occasions. However, each and every time, I could feel the sense of belonging and the overriding acceptance of anyone who is willing to walk through its doors. For this, I want to say thank you for allowing me the experience of having my daughter's dedication amid such a loving, caring church family.

No comments:

Post a Comment