Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Moms and Dads

Tonight, we instituted a new bedtime routine for Amelia. As we sat in her dimly lit room, Meggan rocking her to sleep while soft music played in the background, all I could think was "how lucky is this little girl to have a mom like this?" I try to be a good dad. I'm completely in love with my daughter. I fully subscribe to the theory that she is the best thing that has ever happened to me. It is with pride, not shame, that I say she has me wrapped around her finger. Having said all that, everything I do for her and because of her is minuscule in comparison to what Meggan does. When she is left alone with me, I have two objectives - 1) play with her and have as much fun as we can until one of us barfs. 2) get her to sleep quietly whether that requires food, a pacifier, or prayer (I haven't moved to liquor....yet). Meggan, on the other hand, spends her time learning all the great parenting tips she can. She makes sure we do Tummy Time to strengthen her neck. She knows her feeding schedule and exactly how many ounces she needs. She formulates her bedtime routine and makes sure we take a bath to wash Mia's "milky mouth". All this doesn't even take into account the fact that she actually gave birth and put her lady parts on the line in order to breastfeed. So, essentially, Meggan takes every measure to ensure Amelia the healthiest, greatest life possible while my parental instincts lead me to blowing fart noises on Mia's belly. I may be understating my duties a bit, but the moral remains the same, Meggan is a wonderful mother and Amelia may never fully know how lucky she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment