Sunday, March 7, 2010

Had I been born and raised in Los Angeles, would I be a screenwriter instead of working in Finance? Had I never moved as a teenager, would I have attended the same university where I met my wife? Had I never originally moved from Florida, would I now have friendships that date back 25 years? Clearly, there is no way to know the answers to these questions. However, these questions are precisely the kind that circle my mind as I contemplate my future. I'm not concerned with how these decisions, mostly career and location related, will affect me and Meggan. We are an enduring unit that will thrive regardless of circumstance. I worry about the impact any decision I make will have on Amelia. In my field, there is endless money to chase. This chase, however, comes at a steep lifestyle price. Outside my field, there are dreams to run down. These dreams, however, come with the unenviable risk of financial insecurity. I know I want to give Amelia the best life she can possible have. What I don't know, is what it takes to provide that life. Is it the money that allows her the opportunity to take risks she otherwise could not? Is it having parents who walk the walk to show her those risks are worth taking? Is growing up in one place rather than moving here and there required to build a foundation? There surely is a required balance between these things. However, striking that balance often proves to be the hardest part of parenthood. Having a child is a dream, but it's not supposed to replace all the other dreams you had. In terms of moving, sure, a tree must develop roots to survive. However, what good is a tree if it is never going to branch out?

No comments:

Post a Comment