Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Too cheap to lose

I have mentioned on here a few times that I have a sort of "I want to hit the lottery" level dream of writing a movie. I have also mentioned on here a few times that I am cheap. I have now found myself in a situation that is the perfect marriage of the two. A good friend of mine has spoken privately to me over the last few months about a calling he has felt to help the AIDS epidemic in Africa, possibly through Ministry. He has felt this for the majority of his adult life, but has suppressed it to take a more traditional career path. At this point, he finds himself in a situation familiar to many of us - His career is fine, but not completely satisfying. However, his lifestyle is built upon certain income requirements that don't allow for drastic changes. Over the past few months through our talks, he has started to formulate some ideas on the small steps he can take to get closer to his dream. The first of these steps is to take a mission trip to Africa. This will allow him see what he's up against firsthand. The memories that will return home with him will possibly be exactly what he needs to propel him further and further down his path. In an effort to push both of us to fight against our conservative urges to succumb to life's inertia, I have extended a challenge - A completed first draft of a screenplay or a mission trip to Africa - whoever completes their respective goal first wins an expensive steak dinner from the other. Is a steak dinner enough reward and/or punishment to spark hours and hours of work? Not even for a cheapskate like me. Pride, faith, and ambition will be enough to get the job done. However, it will be a delicious bonus for whoever gets it and I promise the other will be happy to pay the tab to celebrate the accomplishment. Of course, that's easy for me to say...as I know I am too cheap to lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment