Tuesday, January 15, 2013

And Now I know...

Well, I turned 34 years old today. I suppose it's all relative as to whether or not that makes me young, old, or just the right age. What I do know is what I "know" at 34 is probably better than what I thought I knew at 24 and probably not as good as what I will know at 44...

At 24, I thought I'd accomplished something by being the first person in my family to graduate from college. At 34, I realize how dumb I was for not being in graduate school when I was 24.

At 24, I thought the Gators winning a championship would be a highlight of my life.
At 34, I realize they don't send out championship rings to fans.

At 24, I thought I'd always be able to drop 15lbs by working out a few times.
At 34, I realize those lbs have become wise to my ways and are prepared to fight for their survival.

At 24, I thought your first love was one of the most valuable treasures of life.
At 34, I realize your first love is a great memory, but your last love is really what matters.

At 24, I thought marriage was about sharing a last name and bank account.
At 34, I realize marriage is two people sharing one life.

At 24, I thought kids were something I'd probably like to have one day.
At 34, I realize kids are something I can't imagine spending a second without.

At 24, I thought I wanted a high paying job in finance.
At 34, I realize I really just want to be inspired while still being able to feed my children.

At 24, I thought if I had kids some day, I'd teach them how to play sports, ride bikes, and be good citizens. At 34, I realize my kids teach me far more about life than I could ever teach them.

At 24, I thought I knew what it meant to love someone.
At 34, I realize the way you love your child is in a stratosphere all its own.

At 24, I thought arguing with your significant other often meant you weren't right for each other.
At 34, I realize it simply means you both care enough to put up a fight.

At 24, I thought a great night out was supposed to be in a crowded bar.
At 34, I realize the value of a nice dinner with a great friend.

At 24, I thought I had a pretty good ability to read people's intentions.
At 34, I realize I have gained and lost enough friends to no longer be surprised by anyone.

At 24, I thought lacking ambition meant you were lazy.
At 34, I realize sometimes it just means you are happy.

At 24, I thought having a dog meant having responsibility.
At 34, I realize having an infant is the same as having roughly 38 dogs.

At 24, I thought a keg stand made for a great video.
At 34, I realize seeing Ev stand..or "walk" makes for the best video.

At 24, I thought "I'll sleep when I'm dead".
At 34, I realize I'll need to because I sure as hell don't sleep now that I have kids.

At 24, I thought the sports world should revolve around the University of Florida.
At 34, I realize that is still absolutely true.


I'm sure there are a few others I have left off the list, perhaps to be added in years to come. As I've shown above, you're never as smart today as you will be tomorrow...but, at least you aren't the dummy you used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment