Monday, January 5, 2009

Childbirth Class--Session 1

Tonight, Randall and I attended our first childbirth preparation class at the hospital we are set to deliver at. I got the feeling that I was getting a bit of a late start on the whole prepared bit as I was the closest to giving birth in the room. Going in, I felt like this is going to happen one way or another so does it help for me to know the process? After all, isn't that what I'm paying a doctor for? But the class was helpful in letting us know when to go to the hospital. And we got to visit the nursery which made us so excited for Amelia to get here.

Some of the suggestions such as go see a movie while in early labor sounded a bit odd to me. I don't think I'm going to be able to focus on a movie while I'm in labor. Randall and I mostly giggled throughout the class. They showed the obligitory video from the 70's detailing birth which made me wonder if there was just a big boom in instructional videos during that time because every instructional video I've even seen for any class always has characters from the 70's.

The funniest part of the evening was when the dads were asked to figure out what area of the mother's body she was tensing just by looking at her. I was tensing my back, and Randall couldn't tell. The poor guy beside us started rubbing his partners forehead which made her crack up. Guess that wasn't what she was tensing.

Randall was great during the class furiously taking notes throughout and making sure I was comfortable as he always does. Next class is next Monday evening where we learn relaxation techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment