Saturday, January 31, 2009

Little Lady

Today Mia was honored at a baby shower hosted by her Aunt Jenn Grabenstetter and Mrs. Thompson. It was the perfect morning complete with pink tulips, pink lemonade, pink cupcakes, tasty quiche and great company. I couldn't help but think how much fun I've had preparing to have this little girl and how glad she will have so many wonderful women in her life.

When I found out we were having a girl, I was so excited. I pictured us doing all of the things I did with my mom--exploring the Clinique counter, trying new things on our hair and shopping trips to name a few. I imagine us covering the entire mall and grabbing a lemonade from Chick Fil-A while we drive home listening to our new Taylor Swift cd. What fun!

I long for me and her to have the bond that she appreciates when she gets her first zit, has her heart broken for the first time, picks out her wedding gown and has her own babies. I, as I'm sure most mothers do, hope that she grows into an intelligent, kind, gracious, witty woman--a true lady.

Lucky for Mia, she has plenty of great examples of what it means to be a lady. If she could have seen the room today, she would have noticed the women there were all unique, but all the same in that each of them had qualities that I hope she gets. What is most exciting to think about is that Mia will be become her own lady, and she will always have a mom who is proud to know her and call her my daughter--even if she doesn't enjoy Taylor Swift.

No comments:

Post a Comment