Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

Today is Memorial Day. In all honesty, in my life, Memorial Day has mostly meant a day off of work with perhaps a passing thought of the soldiers. However, over the past year or two, the holiday, the war, and what it means to be in the Armed Forces has taken on a different meaning for me. Over this time frame, two of my nephews have decided to join various branches of the military. As an uncle, I selfishly worry about the possible repercussions of these decisions. But, as an American, I am extremely proud and humbled by their bravery. Luckily, one has not been sent overseas yet and the other has enlisted, but is still awaiting training. So, while I have not felt the fear of watching a newscast while they are in harm's way, it has completely opened my eyes to the personal impact of this war. It has shown me that while I have always been thankful for our troops, it has been in the same way that I am thankful for any of America's privileges... I know I am lucky to have them, but I rarely take the time to fully appreciate the magnitude of their impact on my life. So, today, I wanted to take a few moments on here to thank all the service men and women, as well as all the civilian workforce who support them, for all that they do. It is because of your effort, your courage, and your willingness to sacrifice that I am able to feel safe tonight when my family and I go to bed. For that, I am eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment