Saturday, May 2, 2009

Good Samaritan

This is the dialogue from an encounter I had the other day while bringing the stroller into the mall to meet Meggan and Amelia.

Lady outside Barnes and Noble: (fairly serious tone) Sir, do you realize there is no baby in there?
Me: Yes, I left her here last night and am now coming to pick her up.
Lady: (look of slight distaste for my humor)
Me: I'm kidding. I just find this thing so much easier to push without her in it.
Lady: (looking as if her day was better before she met me)
Me: I'm sorry. I'm going in to meet her and her mother.
Lady: (walks away looking as if I have forever stained her desire to help people)


So, in the end I felt a little bad for being sarcastic with her. Plus, I suppose I CAN see a situation where, in a hurry, you could accidentally head inside forgetting to actually get your baby out of the car. If that situation ever comes and I walk past this particular woman again, I'll be the sorry boy who cried wolf. That said, I'll take my chances that I won't forget Mia in the car. I mean, what kind of dad does that?!? What's that you say? The same kind of dad that drops her on her head??? Oh no.

No comments:

Post a Comment