Thursday, September 16, 2010

I will miss Meggan and Amelia so much, but...

On a Sunday in the fall of 1997, I loaded up my car and headed to my freshman year at the University of Florida. By Monday, I was so homesick I was seriously contemplating going home. A few weeks later, I was still struggling a bit when I signed up for an intramural flag football team represented by members of my dorm. This team was fairly unremarkable in terms of on field success. However, it is also where I met a group of guys I still refer to as my best friends. Throughout the last 13 years, I have seen these guys do everything imaginable. Most have gone on to get married, some have even had children of their own. There are engineers, coaches, pharmacists, and even a pastor. When Meggan and I made a conscious decision to move from Gainesville to pursue some things professionally, I felt no different than when I left my family to go to college. I missed this group as I miss my own brothers today. This weekend, for the first time in a long time, I am getting back together with my friends. I have been planning and looking forward to this trip for months on end. While I don't have any delusions about recreating the past, I can guarantee I will come home with lifetime memories. For a guy that is not overly excitable, I can hardly wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment