Monday, September 5, 2011

...It Means to Be a Dad

I happened to stumble upon one of the 1,000,001 books I got when Meggan was pregnant with Amelia. It is called 1001 Things It Means to Be a Dad. It is a great book with several anecdotes about fatherhood. I remember reading it, and others like it, while awaiting Amelia and thinking I was getting a pretty good understanding of what it was like to be a dad...Feedings at 3a.m....That's okay, I don't sleep well anyways; Finding barf of my shoulder as I head into work...Ehh, I don't dress that well in the first place; Replacing all my favorite TV shows with Barney and Sesame Street...That's why they made DVR. Well, now that I have a child and am expecting another, I can tell you these books are not all they are cracked up to be. To be certain, they have wonderful advice and are entertaining reads. However, if I had to sum up what I know now that I didn't know then, it would be this - Being a dad means one thing (maybe two if you want to be technical). It means having someone you love more intensely than you ever deemed possible and dedicating your life to making sure they have the greatest life imaginable.

No comments:

Post a Comment